Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Dirt Road Reflections






I walk often on the little winding country road that I live on. I call it the “The Little Dirt Road” because it was a dirt and gravel road before it was paved about fifteen years ago. I walked and rode my bicycle on it when I was a boy, threw rocks in the creek from the one lane iron bridge, and shuffled through the Fall leaves as country kids often do. I wrote the song “Little Dirt Road” after seeing an old broken down Beech tree with lover's names carved on it. I have taken pictures, recorded animal sounds, and even shot part of my “Wandering Soulmate” and “Lover's Lullaby” videos on that road. A lot of my creative inspiration comes from there and the woodlands that I stroll through on my forty acres. I get into nostalgic/melancholic moods occasionally (or sometimes a lot), when I go walking, as do most of us with a sensitive poetic heart.

  

   
It seems that poets, songwriters, and creative artists of all types, are joined at the heart. They recognize and find each other easily. It is so wonderful to have others to share with, Kindred Spirits who speak heart to heart through their works of art. Sometimes there is a deep connection at first meeting, and you feel like you have found a lost friend from long ago.

  


Any of you who follow my blogs, or listen to my songs, or watch my videos will probably notice immediately that my mood in a lot of the things I have written is from a retrospective viewpoint. As the sun is setting on my harvest fields, I cast long shadows upon them, while the morning sun on some of my younger Kindred Spirit friends casts a long shadow on their newly sprouted fields. But there is a part of me that is still young (my spirit). I have retained much of my boyhood curiosity and imagination throughout my life, and even into my senior years. I know in my mind (and sometimes when my body speaks to me) that I might not have too many more years left. So you will see a tussle between the two in my songs and writings, and even in my pictures of old barns, houses, and the like.


My young spirit wants to associate with the youthful, those that still have hopes and dreams and love with intensity. I can feel the hopes and dreams, the disappointments and suffering that is expressed through their art. My long shadow crosses youthful shadows on the fields of life. I take comfort in encouraging them to follow what they know is true in their heart, and I find purpose in that, even though I know that I can no longer participate.





We are different in our talents and means of expression, but we are all trying to say the same things; express our struggles with life and death, our compassion for one another, lover's dreams, heartbreaks, and broken promises … It does us a lot of good just to be able to express what we feel to others, and to have them understand. We never outgrow our need for love and understanding! I choose this life of hopes and dreams for as long as I can, and will probably never follow others who are “acting my age”.       




No comments: